Statistical Agency under President of the Republic of Tajikistan:
Law of the
“On State Statistics”
law regulates legal relations in the statistical activity, determines goals,
rights and responsibilities of the state statistical offices, and also the order
of organization of collection, processing, use, dissemination and protection of
official statistics and official statistical accounting in the
1. This Law establishes legal basis and regulating mechanisms for implementation of the unified governmental policy in the field of official statistical accounting and distribution of the state statistical data to satisfy the needs of the state and society in comprehensive, reliable, scientifically based and timely official statistical information about social, economic, demographic, ecological and other public processes in the Republic Tajikistan.
2. Operation of the present Law
shall apply to all statistical units and subjects of official statistical
accounting implementing their activities in the territory of the
Article 2. Major Definitions
The following major definitions shall be used in this Law:
- statistics – set of quantitative data on phenomena or processes;
- state statistics – single state statistical information system, formed by state statistics;
- official statistics – collected and processed information of statistical units, showing the characteristics of the phenomena in the appropriate population;
- state statistical system – the basic component of the public information system, which is a combination of primary, aggregated and administrative statistical data;
- official statistical accounting – activity aimed to conduct statistical surveys and processing the data obtained from the surveys carried out in order to create official statistical information, according to official statistical methodology;
- subjects of official statistical accounting – public authorities, organs of self-government settlements and villages and other government agencies engaged in the formation of official statistical information in appropriate filed of activities in compliance with the legislation of the Republic of Tajikistan;
unit – natural persons and legal entities,
individual entrepreneurs, affiliates and
representative offices of foreign legal entities, irrespective of the
organizational-legal form, operating in the Republics of
with the legislation of the
- state statistical reporting – the data provided by any statistical unit and subject of the official statistical accounting to state statistical offices pursuant to the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic of Tajikistan;
- official statistical information – aggregated documented information on the quantitative component of social, economic, demographic, ecological and other social processes in the Republic of Tajikistan, compiled in compliance with the programs of statistical works and other observations;
- statistical methodology – the whole set of general rules and special techniques of statistical observation;
- statistical observation – systematic, scientifically substantiated data collection about phenomena and processes of the social and economic activity of statistical units implemented by statistical offices and subjects of official statistical accounting;
- departmental statistical observations – observations implemented by subjects of official statistical accounting on specific kinds of activity;
- uniform system of e technical- economic and social-information classification and coding – the system that allows grouping the information about statistical units by kinds of activity, patterns of ownership, location and etc.’
- state statistical register – the integrated databank of statistical units providing interaction with departmental registers and information databases on the basis of the uniform system of technical-economic and social-information classification and coding;
- primary statistical data – statistical information about the specific statistical unit, regardless of patterns of ownership and kind of activity;
- administrative data – the data received by the subjects of official statistical accounting while implementing the administrative functions which are submitted to the statistical offices for production of official statistical accounting;
- aggregated data – integration of economic indicators by means of their association in a uniform group;
confidentiality – the
protection of statistical data, the disclosure of which is prohibited
with the legislation of the
one of the methods of
continuous statistical observation of statistical units to be counted on the
entire territory of the
- survey – formation of the data collected by interviewing from a sample of separate units of the whole population of statistical units;
- sample – methods and procedures for selection of units of the object under study subject to survey;
- dissemination – provision of all users with access to the statistical information, which is not confidential;
- statistical appraisal – design-approximate value of the statistical information;
- metadata – information about quantitative statistical data concerning methods of collection, processing, dissemination of data, methodological explanations and notes on quality of the data.
Legislation of the
Article 4. State Policy in the Field of Statistics
State policy in the field of statistics is focused on organizing of collection, processing, use and improvement of the state statistics, dissemination and protection of official statistical information on the basis of independence, scientifically- based methodology and international standards.
Article 5. Basic Principles of State Statistics
In order to ensure quality of the state statistics, the statistics shall be formed according to the following principles:
- relevance, objectivity, scientific validity, timeliness, reliability of the official statistics;
- impartiality, statistical confidentiality of the official statistics;
- transparency, openness, accessibility of the official statistics;
- consistency of the official statistics.
CHAPTER 2. STATE STATISTICAL OFFICES, THEIR FUNCTIONS, RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
Article 6. State Statistical Office
1. State statistical office
shall be the central organ of executive power authorized by the government of
2. The Authorized Agency shall carry
out state policy in the field of statistics, improve the statistical activities
Article 7. Functions of the Authorized Agency
1. The authorized agency in order to implement the state policy in the field of statistics shall:
- coordinate and supervise statistical activity of the subjects of official statistical accounting and statistical units;
- implement interdepartmental statistical activity;
- develop statistical standards, including methodology, classification for production of official statistics;
- submit proposals to the Government of the
exercise cooperation with other countries and international organizations,
enter into agreements and the treaties with them
in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation of the
- develop and approve forms of statistical reporting and instructions on reporting;
- exercise other powers stipulated by the legislation of the
Article 8. Rights of State Statistical Offices
The authorized agency is entitled to:
- obtain from statistical units and subjects of official statistical accounting, free of charge, statistical data in the volume set and in a given period established by the statistical agencies in accordance with the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic of Tajikistan, including data composing commercial and state secret;
- request the data from all kinds of sources, including departmental registers and information databases, and also make statistical appraisals on the basis of the available information;
- conduct statistical observations among the population;
- check reliability of the statistical data; demand that distortions should be eliminated in case they are revealed;
- have access to the reporting of the subjects of official statistical accounting;
- make comments on misuse and faulty interpretation of the statistical data;
- determine a method of conducting statistical observation;
- in the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic Tajikistan, on a contractual basis, implement statistical, analytical, information-computer and other works on specialized subjects;
- in the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic Tajikistan engage the subjects of official statistical accounting to conduct statistical observations;
- within the limits of their competence make decisions to be subject to compulsory implementation by statistical units and subjects of official statistical accounting.
Article 9. Responsibilities of the authorized agency
The authorized agency shall have to:
- organize state statistical observations according to the established programs and methodologies;
- provide a wide range of users with accessibility to the statistical information;
- provide in the prescribed manner the statistical information in accordance with its obligations under international treaties signed;
- provide adequate updating, accumulation and store of statistical information;
- guarantee keeping of the state statistical register;
- provide mass media with necessary information and comments on general changes in the state statistics;
- provide statistical units with necessary forms of the statistical reporting and methodical guideline (instructions)
guarantee confidentiality of state and commercial secrets, statistical
confidentiality concerning statistical units in accordance with the legislations
Article 10. Interdepartmental Statistical Council
1. Interdepartmental statistical council shall be established under the Authorized Agency.
2. The Interdepartmental Statistical Council shall develop priority directions of the state policy in the field of statistics, introduction of innovative approaches and technologies, improvement of methodology and submission of recommendations with regard to the basic issues of statistical activity.
shall be developed by the authorized agency and approved by the Government of
CHAPTER 3. ORGANIZATION AND KEEPING OF THE OFFICIAL STATISTICAL ACCOUNTING
1. To ensure the effectiveness of statistical activities and further long-term development of state statistics, a long-term Programme of development of statistics for not less than 5 years and an annual program of statistical works which contains a list of forms of statistical accounting with instructions for submission dates shall be developed
2. Programs of the state
statistics shall be developed by the authorized agency together and approved by
the Government of the
Article 12. Official Statistical Accounting
1. Official statistical accounting shall be exercised by the authorized agency in compliance with the annual programs of statistical works, on the basis of the statistical documented observations, including primary statistical data and administrative data.
2. Statistical units shall be obliged to submit the data to the authorized agency in the appropriate form, in due time and free.
3. Subjects of the official statistical accounting shall provide the authorized agency with free access to all databases, registers and other data.
Article 13. Statistical methodology
1. Official statistical methodology shall include methods for collecting and grouping of the primary statistical data and administrative data, assessment of accuracy of statistical information and its systematization focused on studying of quantitative phenomena in social and economic processes.
2. Components of the statistical methodology shall be statistical observations, application of generalizing statistical indicators and their analysis.
Article 14. Statistical observation
1. Statistical observation is regard of statistical units and subjects of official statistical accounting, which are located in the territory of the Republic Tajikistan, shall be implemented by the authorized agency. Depending on the methodology, statistical observation may be total and sample.
2. Total observation is generation of the data received from all statistical units for production of the official statistics.
3. Sample survey is generation of the data received from certain statistical units on separate kinds of activity according to a special methodology.
for conducting a statistical observation shall be determined by the authorized
agency and subjects of official statistical accounting, unless otherwise
stipulated by the legislation of the
5. Collection of the primary statistical data shall be carried out according to the forms of statistical observation, by way of submitting these data by statistical units, or by way of their interviewing, or by way of registration of appropriate facts.
6. Forms of statistical observation and the instruction on their filling in shall be developed by the subjects of official statistical accounting and approved by the Authorized agency.
Article 15. State Statistical Register
1. The state statistical register is a tool of statistical accounting and it contains an obligatory list of administrative and primary statistical indicators characterizing the activity of statistical units according to the Unified system of technical-economic and social-information classification and coding.
2. The authorized agency shall keep the State statistical register.
3. Subjects of official statistical accounting, which create and keep the registers and information databases of statistical units, shall provide the state authorized agencies with information necessary for formation and updating of the State statistical register free of charge.
Article 16. Dissemination of official statistical data
1. Dissemination of official statistical information by the subjects of official statistical accounting shall be accomplished by publishing it in the official publications, mass media and placement in public information and telecommunication networks
2. The authorized agency shall timely disseminate information on the publication date and the metadata.
3. All users have the right of equal and simultaneous access to the data of official statistics except for the confidential data containing individual information concerning separate statistical units.
4. Primary statistical information may be disseminated only with the consent of the statistical units which provided with the information.
of official statistical accounting shall guarantee protection of the
confidential data against illegal access and disclosure in the procedure
established by the legislation of the
statistical work performed in accordance with the programs approved by the
Government of the
2. The costs of additional statistical work shall be financed by the customer, the funds received in the procedure established by the legislation of the Republic of Tajikistan, shall be used for strengthening of the material and technical base of the authorized agency.
CHAPTER 4. FINAL PROVISIONS
Article 18. Legal safeguard the statistical units and subjects
of official statistical accounting
1. The authorized agency shall guarantee the statistical units and subjects of official statistical accounting confidentiality of primary statistical.
2. The authorized agency shall provide processing and store and protection of the primary statistical data in the conditions guaranteeing their prevention from plunder, loss or distortion.
Article 19. Liability of infringement of this Law
Natural persons and legal
entities hall be made accountable for violation of this Law in accordance with
the procedure established by the legislation of the
Article 20. Invalidity
of Law of the
Recognize as invalid Law of
Article 21. Putting this Law into Execution
This Law shall come into force as of the date of its official publication.
January 1, 2010, No.588